Sunday 16 May 2010

Bit fed up..

Bit fed up - certainly no sailing being done, glorious sunsets or not..

I finally heard from the insurance company on Friday.. as I suspected, they have advised me that the insurers "are likely to deem the boat as a constructive total loss" because the cost of the repairs exceed the value of the boat..

So we can't repair the existing, and can't buy a new one, for less than the value of the boat - which only leaves the option of finding a second hand one...

For which the search has started...

If anyone is out there, and has knowledge of a cheap, 22', aluminium, deck mounted, mast... please leave a comment here!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, what a nightmare. What are the insurance Co doing? Will you get a payout and keep the boat??
    I reckon the mast and foot can be repaired quite easily then it's just new furling gear that you need.
    Did you get in contact with the owner of Barley 11?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry to hear about the status of the Papillon. I tend to have an emotional attachment to the boats I've owned and always regret parting ways, even if I'm upgrading. The one upside may be that if the sailboat market in the UK is like the one here in the states, there are a lot a bargains to be had. You might want to consider a J-boat, perhaps the j-22 - there are a lot on the market and they ware very well made.

    Best of luck with your search and I look forward to reading future posts of your sailing exploits

    ReplyDelete